Thursday, January 18, 2018

#23 Go to a Silent Disco



It's been a long while since I've written a post and that was never my intent. I enjoy writing, I enjoy telling stories and I enjoy it when people tell me they've read my stories. I set out to create this blog in order to avoid the mundane.  While I've still been having adventures; I've neglected sharing these moments with people. So here it goes, setting excuses aside, trying to get at least one of these out a week. Don't you dare call it a New Years resolution. I don't believe in them. Anytime is a good time to start a good habit. You don't need to wait until the beginning of the year.

My 30 for 30 is done and gone. I'm 32 now and refocused my energy into an actual bucket list. Most of the 30 for 30 experiment I spent just casually wandering into other people's adventures they had invited me into. With this new thing, it's seeking out things that I've always wanted to do. Daydreams I had as a kid, or goals for self improvement. Each make a unique story and it will allow me to continue my blog, continue my passions and continue bringing inspiring moments to anyone who reads this.

My story today is a pretty simple one. Nothing too special but definitely unique. Throughout each experience and new relationship I've been introduced to a few new situations. Things and opportunities I would have completely missed otherwise. Like going to a tech company's anniversary party. I thought this was a pretty cool solution to avoid the PC Police's war on Christmas parties. Forcing companies to call them holiday parties.  Instead just ignore it and throw an anniversary party. No one can argue that you're celebrating another year your business has survived and prospered. Not to mention how much more fiscally responsible and reasonable it is.  This year I've spent more time in my job as penny pincher and bean counter than I care to admit. After being behind the scenes on how much our company spent for our annual holiday party it would have to be much more economical to throw a huge party in May.

So I was invited to a huge tech company party. What is the one thing we know about tech companies? They have tons of cash to blow! This company was also celebrating their 600M acquisition that year. Which definitely could have contributed to the grandiose party. These guys rented out Seattle's legendary Paramount theater. All my life I've gone to concerts there and its really a breathtaking environment. Full of gorgeous classic painstakingly maintained architecture. I went to both the best concert of my life and the only place I've also walked out of concerts. If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend taking the free tour they offer on the first Saturday every month.

These folks went all out and their theme of the night couldn't have suited me better. "Comic book prom" I wish I had some silly cosplay outfit to show you. That's a blogpost for another time. This place was really decked out. Fully decorated to fill the Paramounts high ceilings. Free booze and photo booths. Catered by Tom Douglas all very fancy pants elements in a silly vivid colored tone.  
For the entertainment they hired ribbon arial artists and local comic book nerd band Kirby Krackle. That have a basic pop-punk style wrapped up in nerdy lyrics. I was very impressed with it all, taken in by the amount of energy, money and time it took to but something like this together. But the moment it became a 30 for 30 was when I saw the dance floor.



It looked simple enough. A squared off section of the place with a DJ and curtains around scaffolding holding up rotating lights on a dance floor. Now, I am not a dancer but if you get enough booze in me I'll cut a rug. I was intrigued by the curtained off area and wanted to figure out what was going on and why I couldn't hear what the DJ was playing. Once I got up to the entrance and asked a few people they explained that it was a silent disco. Upon entering the dance floor you're given a set of headphones that everyone is wearing. While wearing those headphones you can select the type of music you're listening to. Now it's not satellite radio or anything and there still has to be a reason for that DJ in the corner so you're offered three different stations to pick from. Each station has a different selection of dance music attached to it and funny enough you could figure out what people were listening to just by the way they moved. It was pretty hilarious coming across someone that actually was listening to the same station as you and you could properly sync up and dance with them. Casually sharing a laugh as everyone is a muddled mess of dancers. It was an interesting experience, something I'd never normally seek out. I'm happy I got to try it but overall I think there's something more powerful about a room full of people sharing the same musical experience.




Things I learned today:

Maintaining relationships and social circles can lead you to some very interesting opportunities.

You might as well take hold of said opportunities because most days of the year are unremarkable with no lasting memory as made. You'll never know when you'll be experiencing something you'll remember forever.

Being embarrassed from dancing is certainly, almost always, just in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment