Sunday, August 30, 2015

#8 Play bubble soccer


Last week I played bubble soccer and I've had a hard time trying to blog about this experience. Maybe it was the dual fact that I was both trying something new but also doing something unfamiliar by playing on a team. Growing up I never was on any sort of team. I didn't play sports or care for debates and usually hated group projects as well.  I primarily stuck with solo hobbies like art, playing music alone or video games. I guess I never really had the confidence to try and when I did the fear of failing was too high to pursue anything like that. 

As an adult I'm more comfortable in my own skin. I know my limitations and can laugh at myself if I don't reach them. After all they're nothing but games right? I'd say I really started gaining that self worth through golfing. Now I'm a terrible golfer who's ecstatic just to make par. But I'm not going to let that slow me down. Half of that game is played in your head and being to confidently say I can make that shot. Or visualizing staying out of the trees and water. Then even though I hit into the sand, I know I can make it out in one swing. 

I drove way up north to play a drop in game of bubble soccer with a bunch of people I didn't know. The teams were a mix of both young and old male and female. I played with another stocky white guy, his girlfriend and a little asian girl. Against us we had an old lady probably in her late 60's and three pretty athletic tall guys. Being a heavier male actually was a benefit because I was harder to knock over and could bounce people on their heads with a little momentum. 

We armored up in our bubble ball suits ready to play. The suit slides over your head and has straps inside like a backpack. Once in your claustrophobic little shell you grab hold of to handles right next to your face. If that's not bad enough you can't really see out of them at all. It's like looking through 6 inches of saran wrap. To remedy that issue the ball is a bright neon orange. Each game lasts 3 - 4 minute rounds. Each team starts on their respective side and goes for it once the whistle is blown. The girls goal tended while I played defense and my chubby doppleganger went on the offense. I tried to knock over my opponents to clear a path to the tiny 3 foot goal. It was really hard to see, once you mix sweat into that ball it becomes a glossy mess. Also running and lugging that thing around wears you out pretty fast. I wish more workouts were this fun! I got blasted a few times doing full 180 degree rotations and landing on my head a couple times. Sounds dangerous but those suits are made to take impact and the only injury I could sorta feel was a tiny bit of whiplash. After our rounds we'd all slide out of the balls and play some dodgeball for a rest period. I honestly don't remember which team won or lost but had a great time playing. I think overall it could be a lot more fun with some close friends but none the less it was very enjoyable. 

Things I learned today:

Playing on a team isn't about your own faults or successes; you win as a team and lose as one

There are a lot of really fun ways to get exercise in without going to a gym

Groups of strangers can bond quickly over victories large and small

No comments:

Post a Comment