Monday, November 30, 2015

#14 Go Indoor Skydiving


Today I went to ifly in Southcenter to tryout indoor skydiving. Ever since this place opened I've wanted to try it out. But never had any real reason besides curiosity. When the opportunity presented itself I jumped on it. Like most extreme sports or experiences I've found that you're paying for the story or the opportunity to try something new. You're certainly not paying for the time spent doing them because they don't last very long. All said and done I spent 120 seconds flying. Two one minute rounds. I'm not complaining because it is something I'll remember forever and if anything it's only given me the taste for real skydiving.

At first I was a little bummed out that you have a spotter in there with you. But I've been through enough safety courses to be able to appreciate what they're doing. First you have about a 15 minute course to learn their basic hand signals and the position you have to be in to have the most control and therefore fun. Our teacher was very spritely, I mean this girl was full of energy and practically dancing around the place. It's not hard to see why, that seems like it would be a fun job. Flying around everyday and dealing with mostly happy people trying a potential new hobby. How could you not smile and bounce around giddy with life.

There were 4 basic hand signs to remember as well as 2 body positions. A finger making the number 1 sign means to keep your head up. Make the number 2 sign and it means spread your legs apart further. Number 2 bent down like a claw meant to bend your knees more. Finally the hang loose sign meant to relax. The most important thing to remember was to keep your body in an X shape with your hips arched. Then hold your hands about eye level. This allowed you to raise or lower your height.  


Heading up to the doorway to that tube I had little fear aside from forgetting everything I had just learned. I watched probably 7 people go before me so I wasn't afraid of coming off any worse than the others. I was more worried about throwing up in that thing. That pretty much would have been my worst nightmare if that had happened. I stepped up in the form of my X shape and dropped in. Instantly I was lifted up about 3 feet from the grating below. Any slight adjustment I made with my arms or hands was a huge shift while in the air. My spotter Sophie made sure I didn't go crashing into the walls. I kept trying to keep all of my lessons in play while floating around for my first minute. Then before I knew it it was over and I had to head back to the entryway. I'm not even sure I took a breath while in there. Trying to remember to breathe was amongst the last things I was thinking of.

The second go around I paid extra for them to spin me around and turn the fans on full blast to the ceiling. For round two I'm pretty sure I forgot to breathe the whole time I was in there. I did a lot better with remembering the appropriate form and didn't go into the walls as much. At about the 40 second mark this really tall guy Peder comes into the tube and grabs a leg and an arm. Taking control and getting a good spin on me they turn the fans on full blast and spend us about 20 feet higher. Fans cut and we go falling back down just inches away from the grating below. Then back up to the ceiling all while spinning in a circle. This was probably the best part of the whole experience. It felt more like a ride at this point rather than me feeling like I'm fumbling around trying to maintain control.



Once the whole group had finished their turns it was Sophie's turn to show off. I have no doubt this is to sell more lessons and show people what you can do if you stick with it. Her display was rad; no joke, she moved like Spider-man! Had the same arches and form flying up, down and all around this tube of air. At one point she was upside down moving in a full circle around the thing only moving her fingers and hands slightly. It was incredible to see what those professionals can do. Afterword, Sophie told me that I had great form and was one of the best in the class. It was nice to have that reassurance that I was actually doing it right. Overall, this was a fun time but I think I'm ready to jump out of that plane with the big boys and girls.


Things I learned today

Pay for the experience not the time spent during and you won't be disappointed

Pay extra for the picture package: internet logic states pics or it didn't happen

No one gets anything right the first time they do it

Skydiving isn't really flying, it's just falling...with style

Life's not about the breaths you take but the breathtaking moments







No comments:

Post a Comment