Wednesday, October 14, 2015

#11 Get a Massage


I've never had a massage before and like most of my experiences it was fine for a one time thing. I'd do it again but wouldn't miss it if I never went back. The whole situation was a little awkward; as many of my 30 for 30 stories go. This one starts with me driving to a place right next to my work. I work in a very industrial part of town where there's just about nothing around. So, we're off to an interesting start going to this cold corporate complex next to the funky little overpriced deli I go to once in a while. 

I walk in and the place is empty. No receptionist, no clients, nobody. Granted I scheduled it after work and it was a quarter to five. Finally a guy comes out from out of a little dark office and introduces himself. I explain that I had a scheduled a session for tonight. "Oh yeah you're Vito, come on back. I enter the little dark office it has a massage table in it and inviting enough decor that looks like it came out of Pinterest. 

I explain to the guy that I've never had a massage and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. He tells me that he'll leave the room and that I get under the blanket on the table. Sure, easy enough..I take my shirt off but leave my jeans on. Have you ever slept in your bed while wearing jeans? Uncomfortable. A few minutes later he comes back in and asks if there are any spots that are hurting. I say no but go ahead and work on my back, neck and shoulders just keep your hands above the equator. I'm the type of person that lives with the world on my shoulders. Let's see if we can remedy that. I sit in an office all day and the back and neck made sense too. 

He lathers up his hands with something consistent with the olive oil I use for cooking. Then proceeds to work my back the same way I put said olive oil on a ribeye steak. Throw a little salt and pepper on me and I'd be good to hit the grill. As he worked up my back and into my shoulders he asked if I needed more or less pressure. I'm a tough guy, ok so sure lets go for more pressure. It felt like my skin was silly putty. Some spots pinched and others could handle the excess work but still today as I write this a little over 24 hours later my everything feels like, well, a bunch of sore muscles. I guess I really needed it because at one point I became so relaxed I swear I fell asleep practically drooling through that little hole my face was in. 

I didn't wake up or snap out of it until he told me to flip over. At that point he worked my neck, shoulders and the back of my head. Ouch, didn't know the skin on the back of your head could move like that. I was a little disappointed there wasn't any cracking involved. The massage was at a chiropractic center and I'm probably 30 years due for an adjustment. Maybe I'll go back to try my bones at little snap, crackle & pop.



Things I learned today:

If you walk into a place like you belong there you can get away with just about anything

You have skin on the back of your skull that can move

I carry a lot more tension then I need to in my life

It's just as important to find the time to relax as it is to work and accomplish goals

Let go of being embarrassed. Most people are too busy worrying about themselves to worry about what you're doing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment